Thursday, March 19, 2009

Precious time.

Okay, I keep asking myself over and over again. Am I gaining new experience or am I just wasting time? Everything that I said I wanted to accomplish while being here in Korea has either been accomplished or is very close to being accomplished. I'm already bored of Korea. It's like I'm not able to wake up from a fantasy dream world or is constantly sleep walking.

I am actually ready to take on the REAL world. I am ready to launch my career and move on with life. I think I've gotten a good feel of Korea in just these past months. I feel like from this point on I am no longer taking in new experience, but just wasting time.
I fed my curiosity about living abroad. And my passion for traveling has been fulfilled for the time being. Now it's time to move on to something new.
2009 is yet another new chapter in life for me. I am ready!
In the mean time here's a list of what I will and will not miss about Korea. I'll be adding on to this list as time passes by.

What I WON"T MISS about WORKING in KOREA/living in Korea.


1. My very timid yet "KNOW IT ALL"---"CO-TEACHER."

2. The sudden news or work imposed on me with VERY last minute preparation.

3. The daily RICE and KIMCHI served during lunch time.

4. The REDUNDANT lesson plans I have to present/teach each day to about 800 kids.

5. The inefficient and frustrating moments I have to endure of not having my own PERSONAL desk or computer to work at.

6. The students saying "DEY" with a clueless look on their faces when in reality, they do understand me...urrrggg...and this applies to one particular kid.

7. The no confidentiality/personal space

ex: at least in America you see people in their bathing suits when you go to a gym with a Jacuzzi. In Korea everyone is 100% naked, OLD and YOUNG. A little bit of mystery makes the mind wonder, but Korea doesn't have this. i.e when I have an appointment at the hospital, I have to tell them exactly what it's for.

9. Their lack of creativity. They follow everything they see or hear in the media.

10. Having to report ever little thing I do to them, even when I need to go pay my bills or use the rest room.


11. Always being the last find out about anything.

12. The way Korea censors out all the bad stuff. They live in the dark. They only see the light. They are hidden from the aspects of good and bad. Therefore, they are not able to compare. I guess ignorance is a bliss? At age 23, I've done more than most of these 30 year old ladies.

13 The 16 year old youth mentality instilled in the many middle-aged Korean women. (GOSH GROW-UP!)

14. Having to sit with a bunch of Koreans that I can barely communicate with.

15. Trying to convey my message across, but ends up giving up because ignoring the issue is just much easier.

16. Having to race my way to lunch and grab all the food I could get. Everyday lunch time is like a race competition, if you are first, you get plenty, if you are last you get almost nothing. And we all pay the same monthly fee for lunch. $25.

17. Being treated like I'm a kid. Them telling me what to do and when to do it.

18. Having to estimate how much toilet paper I would need prior to actually using it at school and at most public restrooms.

18. Having to leave my water running for at least one minute before it actually gets warm.

20. Having to run from one computer to another just to get any work done. And when I finally got my own computer, it's a 1992 SAMSUNG desktop compare to the rest of the 2006 Samsung.

21. The aggressive cars/drivers that will run you over if you don't hurry your ass up and cross the street.

22. How people will just push you to the side to get through. Saying excuse me isn't something that Koreans do, even though the word does exist.

23. The different noises Koreans make that isn't even a word, but is a part of body language/gesture...ex agoo, chincha!, YAy!...shivering with annoyance ****


24. The way they don't say excuse me or bless you when they sneeze or when someone else sneezes. Those words don't exist according to what I've learned.


Things I WILL MISS.


1. The night life

2. My nice apartment

3. The good long sleep on the weekends.

4. Lots of free time

5. My personal space at my apartment.

6. The cheap spending

7. Some of my new friends

8. Some of my cute little students

9. The convenience of traveling to other countries.

10. The freedom of walking everywhere without being verbally violated aka hollered at (cause every girl here is overdressed).

11. my 10 minute WALK to work.

12. Traveling by foot.

13. The secure and safety environment Korea offers.

TO BE CONTINUED...

***When every little thing about a place/person annoys you, that's when you know you've had enough. I guess perhaps, if I didn't have my current job I would probably enjoy Korea more, even though this is one of the easiest jobs I've ever had. But because it's easy, it's boring. No passion.