Tuesday, March 24, 2009

5 paragraphs make an essay...

So I taught an English essay class today to a bunch of advanced Korean students. These kids are incredibly smart and bright. I felt like I was teaching American 9/10th graders.

They were attentive with my teaching.

I never thought I would see myself teaching kids the proper way of writing an essay and I did it with a last minute prep. Literally one hour before the class started, they told me I had to teach a 3-hour English essay class. That's when my improvisation skill had to come in. Although I was outraged and extremely upset with the situation, I think I did a fantastic job. It felt good.

"Kids, a basic essay is made up of 5 paragraphs. 1 Introduction paragraph, 3 body paragraphs, and 1 conclusion paragraph. And one paragraph is made up of at least 5 sentences. And does anyone know what the most important thing in an essay is?....the thesis..........."